Fort Humboldt 1850-1860
Starting off the the 1900's is a picture of Fort Humboldt. This was made to protect locals in the areas from Indian Hostiles; also to be a supply depot for other forts in northern California. This twelve building fort was established on Janurary 30,1853 by Captian Robert C. Buchanan, 4th infantry. It was short lived, for it was abondoned in 1870. There were some notable people that spent time here, Lt. Ulysses Grant served here for 5 months during (1853-1854).
The commissary in an abandoned Fort Humboldt (1870).